Monday 30 June 2014

Nail Art with Cling Film

Two blog posts in one day, I was clearly in a blogging mood! You probably saw the title to this and questioned my sanity. However, some of you may be familiar with the cling film technique. I'm not claiming to have invented it at all, I actually read about it several years ago online. However, I've seen it mentioned so often now I wouldn't actually know who to reference.

My nails were in dire need of a good pamper, and I am a huge fan of the cling film technique. It reminds me of the Water Marble technique which is also extremely popular, however I find this is a LOT quicker and also creates a lot less mess. So here is a quick step by step I've typed up quickly. I hope it's quite simple, but if I make a mess of the explanation but you still want to give it a try, I recommend youtubing it.


What you will need:

Base and top coat (optional)
Two different polishes, I recommend two shades of the same colour
Nail varnish remover
Cotton pads and cotton buds
And of course, cling film!


1. Make sure your nails are clean and paint with a base coat. This is optional, but I really recommend it. It often helps protect your nails and I find my nails don't stain with the colour polish if I use one.


2. Paint your nails with one of your chosen colours. One coat should be enough, but make sure you have good coverage. Make sure this layer is COMPLETELY dry before proceeding





3. When this is dry, paint a layer of the other colour. Make sure it fully overlaps the original layer.


4. See above how I have done my index finger. I tend to do one finger at a time, because you want to cling film while the nail is still wet. Screw up a small ball of cling film and make sure it is screwed up roughly - a round even ball of cling film will just take the full layer of nail varnish off. With the rough ball of cling film, dab over the wet layer, so you can see parts of the dry layer underneath. I use a separate cling film ball for each nail or it becomes very messy!



And Ta dah! You have cling film multi-coloured nails. The photos below were taken before I had tidied the skin around my nails with polish remover, so as you can see it creates minimal mess. Sometimes mine turn out slightly messier, in which case I dip a cotton bud in nail varnish remover and get as much of the excess as possible, but you'll find as you wash your hands and shower throughout the day it will drop off.

Finally, I usually paint a clear top coat on, so they last a few extra days!



In case anyone is interested, I used Barry M 272 Shocking Pink for my original layer, and Barry M GNP 11 Dragon (Gelly Hi Shine collection) for the second layer, or the 'cling film' layer.

I would love to know if anyone else tries this, which colours they think look good, or if they have any other nail art tips.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon!

    Great post - love how this design turned out, might give it a go myself when I get round to it :)

    I must say that I love your blog design, so pretty and fresh looking, gorgeous colour theme!

    Secondly, thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! Great to find another Midlands blogger, woop! ;)

    Laura x | http://www.laurasallmadeup.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura! Aww thank you, I haven't tried any other colours before so I can't wait to see which colours you choose. Your nails are so much longer as well I think it will turn out much better!

      Thank you very much- I had already purchased my blog template when I came across yours, and couldn't believe how similar our logos were! Must be a midlands thing ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...