Thursday 26 June 2014

The week my Nan came to stay and Operation Reform Shannon

So this is just a post about things I've been up to this week. I've not been able to sit down for even five minutes I have been so busy, but today I managed to find time to type this out quickly. My parents have both gone on holiday, and as I was working at the weekend I obviously couldn't join them. So I decided to invite my Nan to stay with me while they were away, for a bit of company for us both.

One thing I've always said is that in my life, I want to be as good a Mum as mine has been to me, and I want my grandchildren to adore me the same way my Nan's adore her.

As the weather has been so good to us lately, she decided she fancied a day out in Skegness on Monday. We went on the bus and I had one of the most relaxing and enjoyable days I've had in a long long time.

We found a small chocolatier cafe down what my Nan called 'Chip Pan Alley' for anyone who wants to find it - called Hames', and I had the BEST hot chocolate I have ever had. They basically melted one of their homemade chocolate bars into warm milk, and gave us free chocolates. The staff were so friendly, I would definitely recommend this place to any of my Lincolnshire friends and family. The prices were similar to Costa prices as well which I thought was really good. I do prefer independent cafes like this, with their 'hidden away on a side street' feel and really friendly staff. (That's why you will usually find me in Archie Hardwick's down Dolphin Lane in Boston when I'm home!)


 We sat right near a view of the kitchen, which made me SO hungry as I was watching them make all of the chocolates.


We then walked round the shops and arcades for a bit, and picked up the typical Skegness sweets and treats for my nieces and nephews. Skegness is one of those places that always makes me feel so nostalgic, as I went there frequently on days out with my family when I was a tiny tot. 

For lunch we decided to stop at a place my Nan and Grandad used to go to a lot when he was still with us. Nan wanted to treat me to a Fish and Chip lunch, and we had a nice rest and a good chat about the old days when I would go caravanning with my Nan and Grandad. I think it's really important to sometimes just take time out of your busy schedule to just sit and remember. 


It really was the best day. Since Monday, we've been busy meeting up with my brother and his family, as he has an interview coming up which I wanted to help him prepare for, and taking my nephew to his Athletics group to watch him. Whenever I'm home I try to be the best Auntie possible, because I hate being away for 30 weeks of the year and missing them all grow up. I love picking them up from their schools, watching them at their various hobbies and clubs, and taking them to bowling or buying them a McDonalds. It probably sounds cheesy but my favourite job in the entire world is being an Auntie. There is no greater feeling in the world for me than being told that they love me, or surprising them at school to pick them up and their little faces lighting up.

I've also been trying to 'Bridget Jones' my life. I call it this, because I love the parts of the films when she decides all men are useless and she is turning her life around as a strong independent woman. Except mine isn't quite like that. For the first time in my life, I'm not doing any sport and minimal exercise, I'll go through phases of having no appetite, and then phases of having the biggest appetite, so I am really unhappy with my weight. I'm not sleeping properly and my work-social balance is completely off. When I finished my final exam of second year, and stopped for five minutes, I realised how exhausted I really was. So this summer I set myself a goal to start losing weight and get fit, sleep better, and have more fun, while also starting work on my dissertation and deciding on modules for next year. I've always worked extremely hard at school and university and I won't let that suffer, I just want to find a better balance. I've started running, and even though today was my first day, I'm hoping to keep it up. I've also been trying new foods and adding more colours to my plate. 



When I'm home for summer, my social life generally improves, but I'm already thinking of ways to improve my social life when I'm away at university, including joining one or two more societies and things. I don't want people to think I never see anyone and I am a little hermit, because that is definitely not the case. I am already a member of several societies and have lots of friends, I just always get this niggling feeling I should be doing more work, and I just struggle to unwind. 

So since I've been home, I've read The Fault in Our Stars and the latest Bridget Jones novel already. I can't remember the last time I read something non-academic! I've also been finalising the details of my summer internship which I am REALLY looking forward to, and seeing all of my lovely family and friends. And I can tell you I'm really really happy, and my sleep has definitely improved. I have a tendency usually to work too late, and then my head just won't switch off! I managed to read The Fault in Our Stars in less than 12 hours, I just couldn't put it down, and I had promised my best friend Beth I would read it before she took me to see it at the cinema next week. 

This may not be something everyone wants to read, but I really wanted to write it all down, so you can all ask me when you see me if I've been sticking to it, and to help motivate me. Now I've written it down, I feel like I have to stick to it even more! If anyone else is currently trying to lose weight or just improve their lifestyle, I'd love to speak to you about what you are trying because I am pretty clueless. I've tried detox diets and strange exercise routines, but I think ultimately when you are at university or work all day, it's difficult to incorporate those into your every day life without them taking over. I'm just trying to be sensible really. So if anyone is going to any exercise classes they would recommend or can point me in the direction of any yummy healthy foods, or good novels, I would love to hear about them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...